The Saint Barnabas Monastery is located near Tuzla Village, Famagusta. Barnabas lived in ancient Salamis, and he preached the gospel message throughout Cyprus, particularly in Salamis around 45 AD. In 477, a monastery, financed by Byzantine Emperor Zeno, was built near the apostle Barnabas' grave, which is situated on the western end of the Salamis Necropolis and near the Royal Tombs. Two centuries after the Saint Barnabas Monastery was built, it was destroyed during a raid, and only the foundation of the original building still remains. The St. Barnabas Monastery that is on site today is from the 1750’s. Today, the Saint Barnabas Monastery serves as a historical site with two museums: Archaeological Museum and Icon Museum. The Archaeological Museum focuses on ancient artifacts from throughout the region, particularly from the Salamis Archaeological Site.The Icon Museum includes various icons, particularly from the 18th century, gathered from the village churches throughout the Famagusta district, as well as from the Saint Barnabas Monastery.